3/3/07

long beaches

Gorgeous day today. I hit the road. Long drive along the coast. They say your memory retains the most while you're both hearing and doing- I've listened to this song while driving for nearly a year now- I can visualize turns I took and vistas I passed by the dozen- but only when I was hearing this song. Does that mean something? Naw, this song means pretty much everything.

Three days at sea (three lost years)

First day, I was lost at sea
I had nothing to eat
But I thought that home was near
I found myself in an
Unfamiliar place
My first night
On an unfamiliar tide

Second day, I woke up
Had almost forgotten
I had never thought to
Try on different coloured robes
And I was face down in the sand
And I was lucky to be alive
Lucky to have survived

And on the third day
I was weak so I
Collpased on the beach
And I died of hunger
And when they found me
They saw how much that
I had changed, I had
I had changed I had

I have changed, I have
I have changed, I have.

from Great Lake Swimmers' first record, self titled.

I wrote the CBC radio show The Vinyl Cafe about this band a couple of weekends ago and got this nice letter back from music producer Julie Penner- here's a bit of it-

Dear Nate,Thanks for the beautifully-written email. This latest show has brought us someof the most interesting emails we've read yet. And many from people who havenever written us before. It's been a really wonderful experience.We are HUGE fans of Great Lake Swimmers, and have played their last two albumson the Vinyl Cafe. We will most definitely play their new album on the VinylCafe "Bodies and Minds" was possibly my favourite album of 2005.

And mine. Long Beach, NS is a place where many formative experiences of my youth took place- this meaningful record was recorded in a church at Long Beach, Ontario- another odd little piece of personal magic a la the Twin Peaks experience detailed earlier.

No comments: