12/30/09

Nines for '09

My nine best times at the cinema this year, in a very rough order...

Up, Pete Docter   
Oh, how great.  Somewhere on a large list of the world's best films.













Star Trek, J.J. Abrams
Technicolor glee from start to finish.











Inglourious Basterds, Quentin Tarantino
a great collection of one-act plays
below: my favorite scene of the year.
















District 9, Neill Blomkamp
below: the onscreen character I cared the most about in 2009.












Capitalism: A Love Story, Michael Moore
in which Michael Moore stays out of the way (mostly), and synthesizes
all of his past work into his best film.















Antichrist, Lars Von Trier
still wake up in cold sweats because of this undeniable movie.














Up In The Air, Jason Reitman
pure class.
Juno must have been mere practice.














Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, Werner Herzog
in the 70s and 80s, a movie like this would come out every two weeks.
now they get put into top ten lists.
I love Nic Cage again, momentarily.  great final scene. 
 
The Fourth Kind, Olatunde Osunsanmi
a preposterous film, but believe it or not I went into this thinking it was
all for real.  and therefore had the freakiest time I've ever had in a movie.
and if that doesn't discredit me completely, my "secret no. 10" will...
















The Twilight Saga: New Moon, Chris Weitz
I shut Twilight off before it was over, but this had an odd aunthenticity
that spoke to the gloomy small-town teen in me.  Go ahead, kick me in the
cyber-junk and call me a sissy.






And,
Nine that might have made it had I seen them:

 
A Serious Man
The Hurt Locker
Paranormal Activity
The Hangover
Fantastic Mr. Fox 
Precious
(500) Days of Summer
Julie and Julia
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus



Annnnd,
Nine complete wastes of 180 hours:

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Angels and Demons
Avatar
Harry Potter and the Whatever It Was This Time
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Brüno
Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
Terminator Salvation



No comments: