2/22/07

# 1is # 23

Jack Kerouac's Belief & Technique For Modern Prose, List of Essentials, no. 23:

Keep track of every day the date emblazoned in yr morning

While this likely won't be added to every day, and certainly not every morning, it will keep track of things, though perhaps with little regard to time or place. Lest I fall into self-loathing or self-aggrandizement, I aim to keep both the personal and the professional at a fair distance. I intend more of a freeform abstraction of things that make up my existence. Though it also has a few intended purposes:

- to provide context to creative endeavor. When I'm in any extended period of creation, whether that be writing, acting, painting, whatever, I sometimes get to the point at which I feel like I did when I was creating epic stories with my G.I. Joe figures as a boy- totally subsumed, not wanting to leave that place. Having another consistent focus should be beneficial, and fun.

- keeping in touch. Never in my life have my contemporaries been so far-flung. We're spread all over the globe at this point, and while that's great, it might be nice to have a check-in point. There are so many people I haven't seen in so long that some backstory will make its way in here too. & after a while, as this grows, it'll all be backstory. Expect me to refer you here if ever the face-to-face question 'what have you been up to' arises.

-maintenance. maintenance of mind, soul, writing, computer skills.

-to intrigue and baffle strangers, and maybe to inspire.

Otherwise, as my grade nine English teacher used to say after he swatted a fly: "Evolve!"
We'll see where this goes. Outside contributions invited also; promote your show (to, oh, twenty new people, maybe, but that's twenty new people who ain't heard about it before), show off your new baby, rock your poems or prose or photos.

The title of this blog comes from "Stuff", a short film made in the early nineties by Gibby Hanes and Johnny Depp about John Frusciante.

No comments: